Friday, June 1, 2012

USPSA Action Shooting: At The Firing Line

The day of my first USPSA match, I was pretty nervous.  Would I remember all the rules?  What if I miss all the targets?  Could I actually do this? 

I was pretty intimidated since there are so many people there who have been shooting for years.  But the thing I had to remember - is each on of them had showed up with butterflies in their stomach at their first match too.   Even the top shots started somewhere.  A couple of the experienced shooters shared with me what their first matches were like and that help to ease my concerns.

My husband and I showed up at about 7 am and we were put right to work setting up the courses.  One thing I learned right away is to pack a pair of working gloves.  Between setting targets, lifting tables and spray painting no shoot zones - your hands will thank you.  Getting there early has its benefits since you get time to examine each stage before the match begins and talk with other shooters on the best way to approach each one.

Each of the six courses had been designed by one of the members of the Southern Arizona Practical Shooters.  A lot of time and thought goes into the course design.  Above all it must be safe.  Second it has to offer challenge by providing the shooter a balance of accuracy, power and speed.  Since no one wants to shoot the same stage twice each one must offer something different.

Each stage had instructions.  The shooter has some flexibility on how they can approach the course, but starting positions and other criteria may be specified.  On this day, one of the stages required the shooter to remove their firearm from a briefcase on a table.  I also heard of another set up that required the shooter to punch in 911 on a calculator before beginning the course.  These obstacles are designed to mimic real life situations.  Although they may sound simple, in the heat of a competition it can be a bit more complicated and could add time to your score.

The competition begun about 9:00 and I was place on a squad with Deb and her husband Gary.  Since I was the newbie, I shot last.  This gave me the opportunity to watch how the other shooters approached the course and to think about how I would tackle it.  Each time I went through a stage either Deb or Gary coached me.  Between the nerves and the newness of it all I really needed it.  They both reminded me to keep safety first as well as critique my stance, grip and other ways I was shooting.

Gary helping me navigate this stage


I have a tendency to shoot low and to the left.  Try as I may to fix this, it still haunts me.  During practice, we discovered if I aim high, my accuracy improves.  So as I approached the fist stage, Deb reminded me to aim for the targets heads.  I did, but perhaps a bit too well.  I missed every single target!  Oh well, at least from this point out all I could do was improve.  After I calmed my nerves I vowed to slow down.

My shooting did improve from there.  On the next stage, I hit every target including a reactive swinging target and a row of metal disc.  I really like shooting down metal targets.  The highlight of the day though was plinking off every disc off the Texas Star without running out of ammo.

Deb Ferns coaching me through the Texas Star

All in all - my competition was a great experience.  I met some of the greatest people and loved feeling like I was a part of a team.  Then there is the "bad ass" factor as I sauntered around with my pistol and ammo on my hips.  My inner Laura Croft was beginning to emerges (aside from the times when I hit said pistol or ammo on a post or door frame I was passing by - my inner dork is strong).  My husband noticed that I seemed to be 3" taller and projecting a lot of confidence.  He was proud of me even when I missed all the targets - congratulating me on attempting something that is new and that some people would be to scared to do.


Me, feeling pretty tough and confident.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Express yourself!