Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Purchasing A Gun: Part 1 Gun Store Etiquette

I hemmed and hawed when it came to buying my first gun.

For one, guns are expensive.  Once you buy one, it is difficult to return them unless there was a mechanical problem.

For another, guns are a personal decision.  What was right for my husband, the retail clerk, or my class instructor was not necessarily right for me.

So for a number of months I weighed cost and personal preference to find the perfect firearm.

I wanted it to be quality.  I liked Rugers and I like Smith and Wesson.  I really liked the way the Walther P22 felt in my hand, but I felt .22 caliber wouldn't make a good self defense gun.

I liked shooting the Ruger SP101, and being .357 caliber, it had enough stopping power.  But it was also huge.  I thought it would be good in a safe next to my bed - but I had to ask myself - "Would I ever feel comfortable carrying it?"

Then there were the .38 revolvers.  These are the ones all the ladies initially go for because they are small, have stopping power and many come with pink grips.  As soon as I asked to see one of these, the sales clerk or my husband would pipe up about it being light weight and that causing significant recoil.  My husband maintained that I could handle it.  Some of the male retailers would say I could shoot any gun I wanted, others would try to re-direct my attention to larger frames.

I held lots and lots of guns.  My advice to any lady who is thinking about buying her first firearm is to do the same.  It was intimidating at first.  When guys ask to see a gun they have this whole little ritual they do.  The open the slide or the revolver to make sure there are no bullets.  The snap it back into place and immediately hold it out in their extended arms and check out the site.  Some will dry fire it - that means they pull back the trigger even though it isn't loaded so they can check out how the trigger works.

You'll want to do something similar - even though it may feel silly at first.

1) Try not to let intimidation stop you from asking to see any gun of any caliber or any color.  Just walk up to the counter and ask.  The retailers want to help you.  If you get the feeling that they are talking down to you or limiting based on the fact you are a female, find a different shop.  I visited many local gun shops and spoke with many different sales people - all of them male.  Out of all of them, only one talked condescendingly to me and I took my business else where.  For the most part, they were really enthusiastic about helping a female choose a gun.

2) Make sure the weapon is clear - that means not loaded.  It may seem reasonable to skip this step, right?  Retailers are not going to store loaded weapons.  With something as serious as a firearm - you ALWAYS check.  Normally the sales person will check before handing the gun to you - often times leaving the slide or barrel open.  Go ahead and do your own check too.

3) Test the slide, the lock, the barrel release - any moving part on the gun you will need to operate.  Some slides are really difficult to pull back.  Try pulling your arms in closer to your body as you pull it open if you are having trouble.  Ask the sales person to show you how everything works.  Take note of the features you like and did not like.

4) Hold the gun in your shooting hand and lift it up as if you were aiming it.  Even though it is unloaded and this was double check - etiquette and safety stipulate that you do not point the gun at another person.  Point the gun at a wall or another area of the store clear of people.  Check your hand on the grip - does it feel comfortable?  Can you reach the trigger with your finger easily?  Also look through the sites to see if they are easy for you to use.

5) Test the trigger, but ask for permission first.  Some gun retailer do not allow "dry firing", so always ask before you pull the trigger.  Ask yourself if the trigger was easy for you to pull.  Did you like the way it operated?

6) When you are done, open the slide or release the barrel.  Again, seems like an unnecessary step since it has already been checked twice, but for safety sake, go ahead and do it again.  The retailer will if you don't.  Set it down gently on the counter - on a mat if one is available.  If you are interested in the gun make sure to note its price.
In a nutshell, that is all there is to handling guns in a retail environment.  Go out there and handle as many as you need to in order to make an informed decision about this pricey and important purchase.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Express yourself!